Healthifyme is a diet and fitness tracking platform and it recently conducted a survey on Indian women’s eating habits and fitness regime. The findings were revealing or should we say tummy roiling. Data was analysed from 100 million food logs and 25 million workout logs on its app. Some 20 lakh women use this app, spread across 220 cities of India.
The findings on women’s food habits:
- Women manage to keep their fat consumption in check during meal times.
- No self-control when it comes to snacks like biscuits, french fries, chocolate, chocolate cake, and gulab jamun.
- Between February 2017 and February 2018, there was a 7% increase in fat consumption from snacks.
- Women eating lesser veggies and consumption of fruits down 30% (YoY).
- Fibre content in women’s food intake fell from 1.8% in February 2017 to around 1.3% (YoY), putting them at a higher risk of diabetes.
Findings on workout regime:
- On average, Indian women now take 18,000 steps per week, a 30% jump (YoY).
- Burning up to 1,750 kilocalories (kcal) per week, 30% more (YoY).
- In terms of physical activities, household chores took a backseat, while fitness exercises like planks, crunches, and squats climbed up over 30%, with bicycling rising almost 100%.
- The best part of the finding - women from Haryana work out most frequently compared to women from any other state. Maybe this has to do with the fact that the state produces the largest number of women athletes.
- Chandigarh women display the highest endurance levels, taking 17,000 steps per week, the worst performing being women from Kerala.
- Karnataka’s burn the most calories at 1,600 kcal per week while the least burnt by Assamese women.
For all that celebration over Woman’s Day, isn’t this great food for thought?